Sunday 24 May 2015

Tom's Story (from my book NEVER GIVE UP)

Tom’s Story (name changed to protect my client’s identity)

Tom was only twelve years old when his mum first enrolled him at my gym. Although pleasant and well-mannered, Tom had some serious physical and emotional issues which required immediate and prompt attention. His doctor, also a gym member, suggested that Tom would benefit greatly from personal one-to-one coaching to restore his confidence, reduce his weight and improve his fitness. 

Having been classed as morbidly obese by his doctor, Tom’s future health was in serious jeopardy if we failed to give Tom the support and guidance he desperately needed.

After several gentle exercise sessions, Tom confessed that he was a victim of bullying at school. His ‘so-called’ friends teased and abused him, not only verbally, but physically too. The break-up of his parent’s marriage had been the original catalyst to Tom’s eating problems, but the bullying had intensified the problem. He was desperate to gain control once more and wanted to prove the bullies wrong. After agreeing to train with me after school every day, I took Tom under my wing until he gained enough confidence to mingle and mix with other members of the gym.

It would be several weeks before Tom’s weight began to decrease. I hadn’t weighed Tom initially because I didn’t want to draw too much attention to his predicament. Tom knew he was obese. Highlighting it further would only undermine his confidence and hinder any possible progress. Instead, I emphasised his ‘feelings’ as a gauge to success. If he felt good…then that was good! If he felt bad, then...that was just an off day!

Tom worked hard to lose his excess weight. Well, in the gym at least! His mum hadn’t quite grasped the basis of healthy eating, teasing him with chocolate and other treats after each session. I didn’t mind. Tom was in control again. The bullying had stopped and Tom was enjoying life once more. I still see Tom to this day. He is one of the happiest, caring, loving and respectful men I have ever had the pleasure to meet. A true gentleman who always greets you with a smile. To think that I may have helped, even in the slightest of ways, fills me with a great sense of purpose and satisfaction.

Helping Tom turn his life around was one of the proudest moments of my career, if not the proudest!

Please visit my website to find more about me and my books http://ivorlloydcoach.wix.com/ivorlloyd

No comments:

Post a Comment